
FIRST OF ALL: I was almost COMPLETELY done with this post before my computer crashed. Therefore, it will not be nearly as entertaining as the previous draft. Grrrrr...
I also wonder about Patty's question about Henry running into more than one of himself when he time travels. I think I have an explanation, though it is based on guesswork, not any fact. I think that because Henry cannot control when and where he travels, Henry's chrono-instability prevents him from traveling any time or place where two or more of himself are located. Again. Just a theory.
I also have a lot of thoughts about Clare. For the most part, I think Clare is a pretty good heroine and great example of female empowerment (as per Jeana's discussion a few posts ago). However, I have a lot of questions about her decision-making skills when she meets Henry for the first time in the present. As endearing as Henry is and as much as I empathize with his condition, isn't he just a complete tool? When she meets Henry, he is a womanizing, drunk, lazy douche (for lack of a better term). Yes, yes, yes. I know that I should have a little sympathy, after all, we are just products of our environments (right?). However, isn't that just a sorry excuse to not change? To not make yourself a better person and turn your life around? Yes, I know that Clare knows who he will be in the future (and loves THAT man). But it still makes me angry that any woman would put up with that for any period of time regardless of if she knows the outcome. Even though this makes me angry and I sort of hate Henry for the tool that he is in the beginning, I cannot seem to resist his charm (or maybe I'm thinking about the GORGEOUS Eric Bana who plays him in the upcoming movie -- see above picture).
Last and final thought, how do you think Alba feels about all of this? Do you think it's hard for her to see Henry when she time travels or do you think it's a comfort for her? Do you think she choses to go to a time and place where she sees him often? Do you think she has total control of when and where she goes? And if so, how would she know where to go when she goes to the future?
Wow. Sorry. I totally just unloaded.
Read my comment to Patty's post about Henry & his ability to be in a place in time with more than one of himself- may shed some more light there.
ReplyDeleteI didn't really ever view Henry as a douchebag. Yes, he was wild, but other than the accounts from other unreliable characters (and obviously Gomez was very biased against Henry, as he was in love with Clare and doing anything he could to persuade her not to date/marry him), I never saw much evidence that he was a huge womanizer- it seemed to me that in the case of both Ingrid and the bartender who he slept with, they were equally wanting of sex, I don't think he tricked either of them in any way. I think he was a raging alcoholic more than anything else (which is also probably partially genetic/learned behavior from his father) and I thought he cleaned up pretty quick after he did finally meet Clare. His "wildness" is part of his mysteriousness and partly what makes him sexy, I think- he was even described as a "panther" at one point. His ability to fight, survive, run bare-footed, kick ass without thinking, and even the way he dances I think shows that he's learned to do everything full tilt- survival, partying in his youth, and loving Clare. He doesn't do anything half-hearted. I can't fault him for that, for some reason, even if I should.
What I don't understand is why Henry was good friends with Gomez, who was obviously after his woman. Ben even made a comment about it at their WEDDING- something like, "What's with that guy, Gomez?" and Henry was clueless until he notices Gomez looking at Clare in that bookstore, and still, did nothing about it. Even Charisse talks to Henry about it, and never once does he tell Gomez to go to hell. It made me sad that Clare had sex with Gomez after Henry was gone- even if she was imagining it was Henry the whole time. I think it goes to show just how much Henry's absence ravaged her, though. :(
PS Love the pic :D can't wait to see the movie!!!